Irish Pony Club FAQs - Members

Please find below common Frequently Asked Questions. If any queries are not covered, please contact us.

You can also download these FAQs as a PDF here.

^ top

What insurance cover do members of the Irish Pony Club (IPC) receive?

IPC members are covered for third party liability whilst taking part in any IPC organised event. Members are not covered under the IPC policy for third party liability at any other time, for example whilst out hacking or during a non IPC competition.

A separate member’s personal accident policy is in place for all IPC members. This is 24 hour cover for all of a member’s equestrian activities anywhere in the world, providing they are normally domiciled in Ireland. The personal accident policy provides a capital benefit in the event of death or permanent disablement. It does not cover temporary disablement but provides some cover for hospitalisation and medical/dental treatment.

^ top

What is the difference between public liability insurance (or third party insurance) and personal accident insurance?

Public liability insurance provides cover if you are held liable for an injury to a third party or damage to property owned by a third party. For a claim to be successful, a third party has to prove that such bodily injury or property damage was a result of you being negligent in some way.

By contrast personal accident insurance is a ‘no fault’ policy. If an insured person is injured at an IPC event, they do not have to prove that anyone was liable in order to make a claim.

^ top

What are the maximum amounts payable on the insurance policies?

Third party liability is covered up to €13,000,000.

The personal accident policy covers up to €50,000 for permanent total disablement including the loss of use of two limbs or loss of sight in both eyes. Dental treatment may be claimed up to €3,000 and medical expenses up to €4,000.

For full details of the scale of benefits, please see the third party liability and personal accident coverage.

^ top

Is there an excess payable on the IPC member’s policies?

Yes, the members liability policy has an excess of €2,000 which applies to any claim for third party property damage.

^ top

Are there any specific exclusions on the member’s insurance?

The personal accident policy specifically excludes any claim arising out of the participation in military service, racing or point to points (unless taking part in an IPC racing activity). 

For full terms and conditions please see the member’s evidence of insurance in respect of both the third party liability and personal accident coverage.

^ top

Are member’s covered if they are riding a pony that does not belong to them?

Yes, the member is covered at IPC events on any horse or pony regardless of whether it is owned by them or not.

^ top

Is a member covered if their pony kicks another member’s pony?

Yes, the policy includes a member to member extension which means that one member can claim off another member if they were negligent in their actions.

^ top

Does the IPC liability policy state that specific attire must be worn at IPC events?

The policy states that hard hats must be worn whilst riding unless the rules of competition prevent this (for example vaulting activities).  No other provisions are stated regarding riding attire but insurers would expect branches to follow IPC rules and regulations on safety including suitable riding wear for IPC activities.

^ top

Our branch regularly hires an arena at a local riding school for IPC activities.  What happens if someone is injured and wants to sue the proprietor?

The IPC policy contains a Landowners Indemnity clause which states that the policy is extended to cover the landowner for any incident he may be held legally liable for whilst his land is being used for IPC activities.

^ top

What should the branch do if someone wants to make a claim against the branch?

Please complete an incident report form giving as much detail as possible.  Please forward this to the IPC’s insurance broker, Howden UK Group. It is important that you do not admit liability as this could prejudice the position of both the branch and the Insurer in the event of a claim being made.

^ top

What should the branch do if someone is injured at an IPC event?

Any serious injury should be documented in accordance with IPC rules and should be notified to Howden UK Group, even if no suggestion of a claim has been made.  It is important that you do not admit liability as this could prejudice the position of both the branch and the Insurer in the event of a claim being made.

^ top

Who do we contact for more information about IPC insurance?

Please contact Howden UK Group as follows:

For all coverage enquiries or requests for letters of indemnity, please contact:
Catherine Morgan
+44 (0)207 133 1387
+44 (0)787 540 8245

To report a claim or incident, please contact:
Regina Van Der Leeuw
Address: Woodlands, Manton Lane, Bedford, MK41 7LW 
Direct Dial: +44 (0)1234 408 610

For general enquiries please contact:
+44 (0)207 133 1338

^ top

FAQ links:

FAQs for Members >

FAQs for Branches >